Thursday, March 26, 2009


I have been merrily taking cuttings to root from various roses in the yard. I took these clippings as I was out doing my routine spring maintenance. I could stay in the garden morning, noon, and night in the spring. After the grayness of winter I really enjoy discovering the various hues appearing daily. However, it is also this time of year when I can actually enjoy the outdoors without the buzz and bite of mosquitoes. Living next to the salt marshes of the Chesapeake Bay does have some disadvantages, but on to the roses. They have been pruned, fed, and sprayed.

Pruning:
1. Remove any branches that are broken, black, or dead.
2. Maintain 5 strong branches to form the base of the bush.
3. Shape the remainder of branches to spread up and outward from the base.

Feeding:
1. Mix 1/4 cup of Epsom salt with 1 to 2 shovels of compost and work into the soil surrounding the bushes.

Spraying:
1. Mix 4 teaspoons of baking soda to 1 gallon of water and spray on to roses. This is a great way to prevent and get rid of black spot. I learned this information from the article, Nature's Alternative: 70 Uses For Baking Soda, by Melaine Ryther which was published at Mother Earth News. I never knew there were so many things you could use one product for. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment