Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How to Root Roses

Some form of rose can be found in nearly every gardener's yard. From the wild rambling rose climbers to the miniature varieties I love them all. This year I am expanding my garden by starting my own rose clippings in order to be more frugal and also because I enjoy waiting with anticipation for my clippings to send out roots and begin to grow.

Rooting roses is not really difficult. There are many different methods to root roses and they do work. I used to cut partially into the branch at an angle just below a set of leaflets, packed that area with wet sphagnum moss, and wrapped it with plastic wrap secured with a rubber band. Roots would then grow on the branch where I had cut and then I would clip the branch and plant it.

Currently, this is the method I use.
1. I clip new growth from the rose bush about 6 inches in length.
2. I let it sit in a rooting water I make from a willow tree in my yard for a couple of days to really soak up the solution. (see last post for recipe)
3. I remove the bottom set of leaves and plant in a good soil so that the nubs where the leaves were is below the soil surface. This is where the new roots will start.
4. I give it a good watering with the willow water one more time.
5. I check on the soil every couple of days and water when needed with just regular water. It is important to keep the soil moist but not soggy.

The roots will form generally in 3 to 6 weeks. It is important to remember that not all of the clippings will root. I plan on 3 or 4 rooting for every 6 I try to start. Happy planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment