Monday, March 23, 2009

Homemade Rooting Tea


We had some limbs that needed to be removed from our curly willow yesterday. I took this opportunity to make some rooting tea. I plan on taking some clippings from some of my mother's roses.
Willows are so easy to root that all you need to do is break a branch, stick it in the ground, and a new tree will grow. Rooting powders can be bought from most garden centers, but I really enjoy using what I have on hand and what nature provides for free.

Recipe:
1 jar
willow branches
boiling water

1. Chop a couple of handfuls of willow branches into pieces small enough to fit in your jar. Crush them slightly and then place them in the jar.
2. Boil enough water to fill the jar and cover the willow pieces.
3. Let the mixture sit for 24 hours to steep. It is then ready for use.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is great infromation, what do you do with the tea? Use it to water the cuttings? I found your blog when I did a google search for gardenwhisperer blog, it is not the one i was looking for but I like yours better! My grandchildren gave me a rose bush, but i don't know how to make more rose bushes come up from it. do youthink you could make a new article explaining it? I look forward to reading your articles inthe future, thank you for the infromatin.

    Madeline

    ReplyDelete