Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Since there is a wee bit of Irish blood still flowing in my family's veins, I hold a special fondness for this holiday. Many here in the United States enjoy the occasion with parades, drinking beer, and wearing green. For me, St. Patrick's day is a reminder that the official first day of spring is almost here and my garden will soon erupt in a colorful collection of blossoms. Yippee!

The shamrock, though not a colorful plant, is an emblem of Ireland. And since I love all things Irish, I have two shamrocks (also known as oxalis) planted beneath the crab apple in my front yard. They faithfully return each spring without any care. I enjoy these green plants with their tiny white flowers and leaves that close when the sun goes down. They are one of the few things that give me a tie to my heritage. However, when summer comes on strong, I will have to bid farewell to these fine plants. Shamrocks enjoy the cool weather of early spring but go dormant soon after temperatures rise above 80 degrees.

You may be wondering how the shamrock came to be tied to Ireland and this holiday. Although these plants dot the hills of Ireland, it is more the association that the shamrock has with Christianity that forms the bond. Its three leaves represent the holy trinity. Today is the day that St. Patrick died and we celebrate to honor his teachings. It is part of lore that he reached down while preaching to the pagans and plucked a shamrock from the ground. He then went on to touch each leaf and explain to the people about the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

I hope you are as fortunate as I to have a few shamrocks in your garden. If not,
these tiny bulbs just need to be planted in a well lit, moist location, and then forgot about. Until my next post I leave you with an Irish blessing -


May your blessings outnumber the shamrocks that grow, and may trouble avoid you wherever you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment