Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Trees Trees Trees

Trees

I THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

by: Joyce Kilmer 1886–1918


This is one of my all time favorite poems! And with each new leaf that appears my heart sings with this poem. The willows are fully leaved as is the Bradford Pear in my garden. I am still eagerly awaiting the maples and sycamore however. Soon the yard will be transformed into a different land altogether. Gone will be the skeletons that were the naked trees of winter. The trees will don their verdant coats, and they will step into Spring, fully clothed and home to birds aplenty. We will sit beneath their arms and enjoy the coolness of the shade when the weather warms. Truly, thank God for trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment