Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Gardening is Therapy

When I am feeling frustrated, angry, or sad I turn to the garden. It doesn't matter the season there is always something to do there that can bring me comfort or release. I find shoveling to be especially helpful. Turning the soil for a new planting or even shoveling manure out of the chicken pen are my favorite ways to vent. It is quite impressive just how much can be done in such a short time when anger is the fuel. Draining the tension in this way is much healthier than having an argument with someone and my garden even reaps the benefits.

When I'm disillusioned and disappointed I seek comfort there. A tiny sprout, a blossom about to open, a well engineered nest all remind me that life is worth living. Watering, pruning, planting, and mulching all bring a smile to my face that must be contagious. It isn't long before I find myself humming a tune.

The garden brings me peace and I enjoy the simple thingsMaybe the world would be a much better place if we all gardened.

No comments:

Post a Comment